Kaplan International Pathways, a division of Kaplan Inc., is an exciting company in the world of international education. We offer a range of courses from University preparation programmes in the UK, Australia, USA, China, Japan and Nigeria through to full degree programmes, in partnership with universities at locations in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia. Through our academic partnerships with leading universities, our expertise in international student recruitment and focus on first-rate pastoral care and student support, we provide international students with high quality, flexible international education and study opportunities.
The University of Brighton International College
The University of Brighton International College, working in partnership with the University of Brighton, offers programmes to prepare international students for entry to a suite of degree courses at the University. With the main college site located on the Moulsecoomb campus, the college welcomed its first students in September 2011. The first Arts and Design students started in September 2013, in a dedicated building containing a large studio space and various workshops in Dorset Place.
As the College enters its seventh year of operation, and the arts and design courses their third, the Programme Coordinator is an exciting opportunity for applicants who are highly flexible, enjoy working with international students and relish the opportunity of being part of growing project at a relatively early stage of development.
We are recruiting a Part-time Programme Coordinator for our Arts, Design and Media programmes. The Programmes run at both Foundation Certificate (which leads to a suite of undergraduate degree courses) and Pre-Master’s (leading to Master’s degree courses) at the University of Brighton. The successful candidate will be responsible for the academic management of high quality Arts, Design and Media provision across a designated set of College programmes/modules. The role will require maintenance and development of module content (teaching materials, assessments etc.) for the programmes, based on a set of approved Programme and Module Specifications. Successful candidates will be required to work closely with the Subject Leader for English Language and Academic Skills, the Academic Director and colleagues from the University of Brighton’s Schools of Art, Design & Media.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Line management of a designated group of teaching staff involved in the delivery of the Arts, Design and Media programmes offered by the College.
- Providing academic support to a team of staff, including assisting with induction arrangements for new staff involved in the delivery of Arts, Design and Media modules.
- Participating in and/or leading regular meetings with teaching and support staff.
- Assisting with maintaining academic oversight of the delivery, assessment, monitoring and quality assurance of a designated suite of Arts, Design and Media programmes and modules offered by the college.
- Providing and collating feedback and assisting with preparing reports on Arts, Design and Media delivery to support quality assurance procedures and College developments.
- Providing, as and when required, academic leadership, management and coordination for a designated number of modules in the role of “Module Coordinator”.
- Maintaining and providing, when required, samples of assessments from Arts, Design and Media modules for External Examiners and other stakeholders.
Design & Delivery of Programme content
- Maintaining the approved Programme and Module specifications and developing related teaching materials and assessments for a designated set of modules.
- Producing other module material to support the teaching and learning process, including material and information on Arts, Design and Media modules in programme and module handbooks and on the virtual learning environment.
- Overseeing the production and verification of formative and summative module assessments; marking and providing feedback to students.
- Coordinating assessments, working with the College Academic Services department, and liaising with the Subject Leader for the coordination of Language and Skills elements of the programmes.
- Delivering and assessing Arts, Design and Media modules to students studying on programmes offered by the College (normal full-time teaching load of 10-12 hours per week).
- Providing information, academic and pastoral support to a small number of students through the College’s one-to-one tutorial system on programmes.
Programme Administration & Reporting
- Assisting with the production of reports for students studying on relevant modules.
- Maintaining an accurate and up-to-date record of student attendance and performance for modules delivered.
- Providing input on relevant modules into the annual review and reporting process.
- Liaising with College staff and KIC’s Centre for Learning, Innovation and Quality on issues relating to Learning and Teaching and the Quality Assurance of courses.
- Working closely with the Programme Coordinator (Graduate Diploma for Arts, Design and Media).
- Liaising with colleagues from the University’s College of Arts & Humanities (the Academic Liaison, technical staff and Course Leaders) in the oversight of key aspects of the delivery of the programmes such as: timetabling; management of the building; organisation of the final 4-week Portfolio & Professional Preparation aspect of the course and summer exhibition; organizing counseling sessions for students with relevant course leaders.
- Participation in the College’s Staff Development Workshops and Peer Observation schemes, and other CPD activities.
- Representing the College at appropriate events and meetings within KIC, KHEI, the partner university and externally.
- Any other duties as required from time to time by the Academic Director or College Director.
You will enjoy working with international students, be customer oriented, performance driven and enjoy the challenges of being involved in projects at a relatively early stage of development. In addition you’ll have:
- Understanding of UK further and higher education and experience of academic management and/or quality assurance in UK further and/or higher education
- Significant experience of delivering Arts, Design and Media courses within a UK FE and/or HE context, and experience of working with international students
- Experience of co-ordination and quality assurance of Arts, Design and Media provision in UK further and/or higher education
- Experience of managing and providing academic leadership to a team of staff
- Ability to develop and update teaching material to specifications provided, and experience of working within a Virtual Learning Environment
- Competence in teaching and administrative IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail, etc)
- A student-centered and client-focused approach
- Strong organizational and record-keeping skills, in order to ensure programmes are administered and run efficiently and successfully.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in order to work effectively with a range of academic and non-academic staff across the College, the Company and the Faculty.
- Willingness to network across the group to determine and improve processes and share best practice
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance-driven team player and leader.
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines
- A Bachelor’s degree in an Arts, Design or Media subject.
- A Master’s degree in an Arts, Design or Media subject.
- A qualification in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (e.g. CELTA, Cert TESOL or equivalent)
Salary: £30,000-£32,000 (pro rata) + benefits
Location: Normal place of work will be Dorset Place, Brighton. Candidate will also be required to attend activities at the main college site on the Moulsecoomb campus of the University of Brighton.
Start date: September 2017
Closing date for applications: 25th July 2017 by 9.00am
Date for interviews: 4th August 2017
Application method: Please apply with your CV and covering letter highlighting why you believe you are suitable for this role.